I've always been an "on the go" mom. It's a lot of work, yes, but it beats being cooped up in the house on a hot or cold day. The kids get crazy in our little house & SO DO I! Each time I added another baby to the mix, I thought, "How on earth will I ever get out of the house with ( ) kids?!" Then it happens & it gets easier each time...until the next baby arrives!
Yesterday was my first attempt to take all 4 kids out of the house on my own. The boys really needed haircuts & it seemed like a reasonable task that wouldn't take too long. Ha! I'm learning that ANYTHING with 4 kids takes too long! Throw a newborn's feeding schedule into the mix & good luck!
Anyway, I get everyone into the car (which is a feat all it's own!), and we head to the old neighborhood where my parents still reside to pay a visit to Al the barber on Grace Street. Al has been there for decades & as a kid I called him "Bob" when I greeted him on my way to school. No idea why, but I was MUCH older when I found out his name was really Al! I digress...
Al's place is very tiny & he only has about 5 chairs to wait in. We were about to seriously take over! I slowly drove by & saw one guy in the chair & one waiting. Perfect! By the time I park, get everyone out and across the street 3 more gents arrived & settled in to await their turn. *sigh*
OK! Back to the car because there was no room for my brood & now the wait would be much too long for 4 little monkey's! Get everyone back into their seats. I was getting these haircuts, damn it!Quickly look up the online schedule at my salon which is just a couple of blocks away. Booked. I remember there was a kids haircut place nearby on Irving Park Rd. Here's to hoping it's still there!
I was greeted by a lovely (& quite chatty!) stylist/shop owner named Julie...I saw toys, videos, suckers...this was the place for us! Cuts were had while "riding" in sports cars, watching Elmo & slurping on dum dums! I forked over what I thought was entirely too much for 5 minute haircuts, but we were the only ones there, entertainment was provided, I was able to feed Nora & everyone survived! Phew.
Stay tuned for our next adventure!
Fresh Cuts!
No comments:
Post a Comment